Insurers have made strong progress with the clean-up of homes damaged or destroyed by the March 18 Tathra bushfire.
Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) CEO Rob Whelan said up to 20 properties had already been cleared since teams moved in last week. “Contractors engaged by insurers have made rapid progress,” he said.
“Insurers are acting in the best interests of their customers. They are pressing ahead with clearing insured properties destroyed by the bushfire. Repairs have started on some damaged homes in the area too.”
The claims process, underinsurance and site clearance are expected to be priority topics at a policyholder forum in Tathra on Wednesday April 18 at 7pm. The forum, organised by the ICA, is for insured householders and businesses.
Members of the ICA disaster recovery team, insurance company representatives and Legal Aid solicitors will be at the forum.
Whelan said: “This forum will guide property owners through the claims and clean-up process and give them the opportunity to talk to representatives from the Insurance Council or their insurer.
“The goal of the forum is to reduce the chance of misinformation and misunderstandings, and provide clear, concise guidance that helps reduce stress and worry.”
To register for the forum visit disasters.org.au or phone 1800 734 621.
The current insurance bill from both the Tathra and Victorian bushfires is $45 million, with 1050 claims lodged.