The Valerie Baker Memorial Award recognises excellence in professional practice in the general insurance intermediary sector. Applications for the 6th edition of the Award are now open and will close on 26 July 2019.
The 2016 winner of the award, NIBA member Daniel Bullock from Safeguard Insurance Brokers says,“I can’t speak highly enough about what I’ve experienced.” The Award is open to all Australian and New Zealand Brokers and Underwriting Agencies. There are no limitations, e.g. age, gender or cluster group membership and the winner is selected on merit. A strong interest in exploring the foundations of the Insurance industry and in helping to fly the flag for Australian intermediaries in the London Market will be highly regarded.
Previous winners have spoken highly of the personal and business opportunities afforded to them through winning the award. NIBA member Karen Hardy of ACME Insurance Brokers in Far North Queensland, stated, “I cannot begin to tell you everything that I learnt on the programme as it would take up too much space. Anyone with passion for our industry and their community should apply, it is the gift that keeps on giving.”
Bullock commented that the contacts he made in Australia and in London via his win and their willingness to assist was an experience in itself, “If you are thinking about nominating for the Award, do it. I can’t speak highly enough about what I’ve experienced.”
The judging panel for the award this year includes:
• Jim Rudkin representing Steadfast Group
• Chris Mackinnon, General Representative Lloyd’s Australia
• Martin McAvenna representing AIMS
• Rocco Pirrello, GSA Insurance Brokers
• Sheila Baker, Managing Director Gold Seal (Chair)
Nominees are shortlisted and interviewed by a judging panel representing the sponsors, who will select a winner based on both their interview and application. The winner will receive a career enhancing opportunity to see first-hand how the London Market operates. The prize includes:
• Expenses-paid trip to London, with business class air fares and accommodation in the heart of the financial district
• An education experience tailored to the winner’s special interests (e.g. the winners in 2018, 2017 and 2016 elected to spend a week at the Lloyd’s Global Development Centre in their Emerging Risks program)
• A thorough familiarisation with Lloyd’s of London and the workings of the London Market
• Meetings with Brokers, Underwriters and other senior members of the London Market to offer a career enhancing networking opportunity
• $1,000 spending money to help the winner make the most of their London experience
The prize is based in London because of Valerie Baker’s affiliation and achievement in that Market as an Australian general insurance broker and also to acknowledge and underline the importance of the London Market to Australian and New Zealand intermediaries.
Designed to reflect Valerie’s business principles, the selection criteria/success indicators are:
• Ethics and values
• Business success
• Client relationships
• Industry contribution
If you are interested in nominating a person for the Award or in applying, please visit the Gold Seal website and follow the steps as outlined.